Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Google Earth

This week, I am reflecting on technologies that I plan on incorporating in my lesson plan and unit. the first technology is Google Earth. I am planning a lesson on Ancient Egypt. Part of the standard requires the student to identify where Egypt is located. Using Google Earth, they could get a clearer understanding of where Egypt is located in relation to the United States and other places that they recognize. Google Earth will also give them a real view of the country and they will be able to see the differences in topography. Another standard discusses the relationship between the land and water features and the civilization that lived there. I would like to use Google Earth to show the natural features and have them stop and jot their ideas about the pros and cons of the desert and the Nile river.

1 comment:

  1. About 15 years ago, Fairfax County's Earth Science course was redesigned as Geosystems, and included much more mapping than a traditional Earth Science course. ArcView software was pricey, but terrific at the time. Google Earth has changed everything, and the new access to NASA and NOAA data, in combination with traditional satellite imagery is tough to beat, especially when free.

    ReplyDelete