Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grading in the Classroom

Grading should take the form of feedback.  I like to know how I am doing in a class and grades allow me that opportunity.  Grades, with the proper comments and feedback, offer students the reasoning behind the teachers marks and how they can improve on the next assignment.  I also believe that grades should be flexible.  Individuals think differently and should be given an opportunity to explain their reasoning behind whatever is being turned in.  As we have been learning in all of our class, students have different strengths.  Grading should be based on student abilities and if that means creating different rubrics for different ways of presenting knowledge, then it should be done.  In conclusion, grading should be used as a form of dialogue between the student and teacher regarding the areas of strength, weaknesses, and areas where improvement has been made.  Graded assignments should inform the teacher of how a student is progressing and should inform the student of areas where they need to work harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment